Third Generation (Continued)

Previous * Next

Family of Simon Peter HAGEMAN (10) & Martha Viola WALLICK (Continued)

39. Alice Naomi HAGEMAN.1 Born on 28 Sep 1896 in 5 mi. SE of Seward, Seward Co., Nebraska.31 

Alice Hageman

Birth Announcement for Alice Naomi Hageman from the Seward Co. Independent, Seward, Nebraska, October 2, 1896:4

"--Mr. and Mrs. S. P. Hageman, who live southeast of Seward, are rejoicing over the arrival of a brand new baby girl at their home. The little wanderer came Monday night."

Immigrated about 1930 to San Bernardino, California from Seward Co., Nebraska, with her husband and children.31 Resided in San Bernardino and Riverside, California after 1930.31 Alice Naomi died in Riverside, California on 4 Aug 1979; she was 82.31 Buried on 8 Aug 1979 in Montecito Memorial Park, San Bernardino, California.31 Occupation: elementary school teacher, piano teacher.31

George Imig
George Imig (left) with one of his trucks, 1927
On 20 Aug 1917 in Lincoln, Nebraska31 when Alice Naomi was 20, she married George Jacob IMIG,1 son of first cousins Carl IMIG, who at age ten immigrated with his parents on 5 May 1858 from Bremen, Germany to New York on the ship "Caroline," & Anna IMIG, who crossed the Atlantic with her parents in about 1870. Carl and Anna had each been married before to each other's siblings but were both widowed; then they married each other. George was the only child they had together, but George had fifteen older half-brothers and half-sisters. George was born on 13 Jun 1892.1,17 He had a trucking company in the 1920's in Nebraska and hauled hogs out of Omaha, etc.31  George moved in about 1930 to San Bernardino, California from Seward Co., Nebraska, with his wife and children.31 Resided in San Bernardino and Riverside, California after 1930.31 George Jacob died in Riverside, California on 5 Jan 1971;2 he was 78. Buried in Montecito Memorial Park, San Bernardino, California.31 Occupation: entrepreneur, pet shop proprietor, breeder of champion bulldogs.31

George spoke German and taught some to his children, such as a prayer before dinner. He had a witty sense of humor and a cheerful, generous personality, which he particularly displayed with children.31

Go to a fan chart of George Jacob Imig's parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents.

They had the following children:
95 i. Myron George (1918-1965)
96 ii. Joyce Winifred (1920-)
97 iii. June Maxine (1922-1995)
98 iv. Virginia Jean (1924-1959)
99 v. Alice Eileen (1926-)
100 vi. Donna Lou (1927-)
101 vii. Peggy Ann (1933-)
102 viii. Robert Leon (1937-)

The eight children, lined up by age, of Alice Hageman and George Imig
in San Bernardino, California in the spring of 1948

Alice and George Imig were particularly proud of their six lovely daughters and would frequently photograph them all in a row according to age, with their first-born daughter Joyce on the left and youngest daughter Peggy on the right.

Their granddaughter Sylvia Joyce Typaldos, herself an accomplished musician, music teacher, and songwriter, describes Alice Hageman Imig's extraordinary natural piano ability:36
Grandma was a great pianist and a child prodigy. My mom says she played Mendelssohn's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" on the piano for an audience and got a standing ovation when she was ten. That is a very difficult piece. She was also great at Chopin. She could play any song by ear, in any key, and arrange it at the same time she was playing it, even if she had never played it before! I still remember hearing her play "On Mockingbird Hill" when we were kids, and later, "Love Is Blue." She was fantastic.
The following is from a memoir written by Alice Naomi Hageman Imig in about 1977.2 She gave copies to each of her children.

I was born September 28, 1896, in the first frame house built on my father's farm, five miles southeast of Seward, Seward County, Nebraska. When I was three years old, my parents had a new and larger house built near the old one. I remember two instances of when it was being built. First, of calling my uncle, who was building it, to dinner, as I climbed the partly built stairs. Second, when one room of the old house, which was to be our large kitchen, was being moved by horses to attach it to the new house. My brother, Bert, my sister Grace and I rode in it as it was being moved, and Bert sat me on the table for the ride.

On my fourth birthday, Bert rode to town on his bicycle, bringing home a little wagon for me.

In the early spring when I was five years old, I walked down our lane to the dirt road to look for wild flowers which I was picking at the side of the road. I looked down the road and saw what seemed rather strange -- a black shaggy dog coming toward me from the other side of the lane's gate. I stood still and watched it, though I soon was to learn that it was a "mad dog", as a dog with rabies was called in those days. It held it's head low and froth was coming from its mouth. It looked up at me and I said, "Go away, Papa doesn't want any more doggies!" Then it turned and walked down the lane toward our fenced-in yard, and I followed a short distance behind him. The yard gate was open, and he walked in and up to the house where our pet dog was lying, and bit him. The commotion brought my father out of the house with his shot-gun, and my sister Grace, who grabbed me and ran into the house. The dog then ran to the creek near by, where my father shot him. Three weeks later, our "Ship" got rabies and finally died in an empty building that my father and brother Bert had coaxed him to enter, with some difficulty.

At age six I entered a Country School (District 6), and since it was over two miles to the school, my father bought me my faithful white pony named Maud, and a cart to ride in to school. He built a three-sided shed on the school grounds to drive into. My sister took me to school the first two years, but when I was eight I was old enough to drive by myself, always taking two or more other children with me. During the eight years in country school, times were good, disregarding those times during the cold winter when snow and sleet cut our faces riding in the topless cart. At school when snow was on the ground we played "Fox and Geese" and other times we played ball and other games.

Our 160 acre farm was broken up by the "Shadley" Creek, which wound its way through pasture land, beginning near our house, to the mouth of the creek, where it flowed into the "Big Blue" River. The river flowed north and south across our farm, at the far western side of it on its way to the Missouri River. It was great fun for me to go to the river with my mother and Grace to look for wild fruit, berries, grapes, etc.

During my early days, since I wasn't allowed to go fishing in the river, I enjoyed playing in the creek and fishing for sun fish in the summer. In the winter it was fun playing and skating on the ice in the creek, or sliding down its steep banks on a sled in the snow. But most of all, I loved to fish in the river with my Dad. Many times we spent hours on the river bank in the shade of the big trees, catching mostly bull-heads. If the river was rising, many times my Dad would set out "throw lines" in the evening and I would go with him the next morning when he pulled the lines out, hoping we had caught a "channel cat," considered the finest eating fish in the river.

One summer day when a girl friend came to see me, we decided to try something new and exciting. So we found a bottle, wrote our names and addresses on a piece of paper, put the paper in the bottle, put the cork on tightly, and both of us rode on my pony to the river. We threw the bottle in the river, hoping some one would find it. In about a week we began getting letters from Milford -- six miles away, from some boys who found the bottle while swimming in the river. It was an exciting experience for us twelve-year-old girls!

When I was eight years old, my parents bought a piano for my sister Grace and me, replacing the old-type organ we had. It was a great event for us when the new piano arrived. Grace had taken lessons on the organ for some time, so she was able to teach me on the piano for awhile. Then I began taking lessons from a lady in town. When I was eleven years old, I played the piano for services on Sundays at the Christian Church in Seward.

In September, 1911, I entered Seward High School in the ninth grade, graduating in May, 1914. During High School, I played the piano for many functions, including the march at noon and close of school each day, as the pupils marched out of the auditorium. During the four years in High School, a neighbor girl I had grown up with in the country and I, roomed and boarded with a lady in town, going home on week-ends. During my Junior year I belonged to the Girl Scouts. While having a meeting after school, south of town by the river on May 10, 1913, a storm was brewing in the south west and looked vicious. I, among others, left and hurried to our home a mile away, reaching there just as a tornado struck that area of town. Fortunately, my girl friend and I, and two others in the house, reached the tornado cellar just in time. But nine people near us were killed by the tornado.

In May, 1914, I graduated from High School, and for the graduation exercises I was the first one on the program, playing "Caprice Hongrois" on the piano. Since I majored in Normal Training in High School, I received my Teacher's Certificate, allowing me to teach all elementary grades in a one-room country school. That fall I began teaching in the only new modern school of that kind, in the county, three miles from Seward and about six miles from my home. I taught there three years. One cold morning when it was 26 degrees below zero, I was barely able to walk through the big drifts of snow to the school house, as wind had blown during the night. At times I felt I was freezing and I could hardly get through the drifts. But I finally reached the school and later the parents brought a few pupils to school in a wagon, and were very sorry no one had realized how cold it was that morning and how high the snow had drifted!

It was a lively neighborhood; the young folks living there had many parties (including one for me on my birthday). At these parties I met and became acquainted with George Imig, who lived one half mile from my school. I refused a contract to teach a fourth term, and George and I were married on August 20, 1917, and lived a happy life together for fifty three years until his death on January 5, 1971.

On August 20, 1967 George Jacob Imig and Alice Naomi Hageman Imig celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in the home of their daughter Peggy and her husband Jim, surrounded by their many children and grandchildren.

George and Alice Imig celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with their grandchildren, August 1967

This 50th wedding anniversary announcement for George Imig and Alice Naomi Hageman Imig appeared in an unidentified newspaper, August 1967:

Imigs Note Anniversary
50th Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. George Imig, 2618 St. Elmo Drive, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at a reception in the home of their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. James Morris of Riverside.

At the reception the couple greeted approximately 100 guests. The guest book was circulated by Miss Cindy Typaldos, granddaughter of the couple.

The Imigs, married August 20, 1917 in Lincoln Neb., have resided in San Bernardino for 37 years. They have six children, 20 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Their children are Mrs. Nick Weaver, Mrs. Frank Stipak, Mrs. Neil Johnson, Mrs. Ted Peckels, Mrs. James Morris and Bob Imig.

Imig owned the Imig Pet Shop for 19 years. He has been retired for four years. He is active in Bulldog Clubs and has raised many champion bulldogs as a hobby.

Obituary of Alice Naomi Hageman Imig from the Seward Co. Independent, Seward, Nebraska, August 29, 1979:4

Alice Imig, 82, of Riverside, Calif., died Saturday, Aug. 4. She was born on a farm southeast of Seward on Sept. 28, 1896, to S. P. and Viola Wallick Hageman. She graduated from Seward High School in 1914 and taught school in District 31. She married George Imig in 1917, and they moved to California in the mid 1920's.

Survivors include, five daughters, Joyce Weaver, June Stipak, Eileen Johnson, Donna Peckels and Peggy Morris, and one son, Robert, all of California. Seward area relatives include nieces Eleanor Vogt and LaVerne Garber and a nephew, Wayne Fosler.

Services were held Wednesday, Aug. 8, at the Acheson and Graham Garden of Prayer Chapel in Riverside with burial in Montecito Memorial Park.

George and Alice Imig celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with their children, August 1967

Previous * Next

Home * Index * Surnames * Contact