|64||i.||Jan Cornelisse (ca.1585 - ca.1649)|
|66||i.||Gillis Jansen (1626-1701)|
|68||i.||Hans Hansen (1627-~1654)|
[Page 24]The following are excerpts from Hugh T. Law's article, "Chapter 7, Ancestors Traced to France: Joris Jansen De Rapalje and Catharine Trico," How To Trace Your Ancestors to Europe, 1987, pp.84~86:37
Joris (George) Jansen Rapalie, the father of Sarah, and the common ancestor of the Rapalies of this country, is said by some writers to be a proscribed Huguenot, from Rochelle in France, an emigrant in 1623 in the ship Unity with Catalyntie Trico, whom he probably married before the voyage (although the ceremony may have been performed after his arrival, having no date of the same), appears to have resided for three years, until in 1626, in Albany, then removed to New Amsterdam, where he remained for more than 22 years (occupying and owning a house and lot on the north side of the present Pearl street, and butting against the south side of the fort, for which he received a patent on the 18th of March, 1647), and until after the birth of his youngest child in 1650.1 During at least a portion of this time he kept a tavern or tap-house, as then styled, his name appearing as late as March 16, 1648, on the records in the book of the burgomasters court2 of said city, among the inn keepers and tapsters, inhabitants who promised to observe the proclamation of Gov. Stuyvesant of March 10th, 1648, in relation to the regulation of such houses. He probably removed to his Long Island farm as early as 1655, which he probably partially cultivated previously, for April 13th of that year he was appointed one of the magistrates of Brooklyn, in the place of Pieter Cornellisse.3 Rapalie figured frequently in numerous suits
[Footnotes on Page 24]:
1See Riker's Newtown, p. 267. He sold his house and lot June 22d, 1654, to Hendrick Henderson, drummer, for 800 gl.
2The records here referred to are proclamations, etc., issued prior to the establishment of the courts, and entered in the beginning of this book, containing said court records.
3Pieter Cornellisse, a house carpenter, in New Amsterdam as early as 1640, was appointed one of the magistrates of Brooklyn, April 9, 1654. In 1646, he obtained a patent for over 27 morgens in Brooklyn adjoining lands of Cornelius Dircksen, fetryman.
on the records of the burgomaster's and schepen's court of New Amsterdam, up to 1656, on the 28th of April, of which year a return was made in a suit of Cornelia Schellinger1 against "Joresy Rapalje," of Rapalje's having departed beyond the jurisdiction of the court, and the same return was made on the 25th of the following November, in a suit of Jacob Schellinger against "Catalyn Joresy," Rapalje's wife.
On the 16th of June, 1637, Rapalie bought a tract of land of the Indians, "Kakapeyno, and Pewichaas," called "Rinnegakonck," situate "on Long Island, south of the Island of the Manhattans, extending from a certain Kil till into the woods south and eastward to a certain Kripplebush (swamp), to a place where the water runs over the stones." On the 17th of June, 1643,2 his Indian purchase was patented to him by the governor, and is described as "a piece of land called Rinnegakonck, formerly purchased by him of the Indians, as will appear by reference to the transport, lying on Long Island, in the bend of Mereckkawick3 (now Brooklyn), east of the land of Jan Monfoort,4 extending along the said land in a southerly direction, towards and into the woods 242"
[Footnotes on page 25]:
1Cornelia Schellenger was a daughter of Cornelis Melyn; the early patentee and settler of Staten Island, she marrying (1st), April 30, 1647, Jacob Loper, and (2d), April 7, 1643, Jacobus Schellenger.
2See Book G. G., pp. 20 and 64, land papers, office sec. state, Albany.
3The bend of Mereckkawick is the same as the Waaleboght cove, and Mereckkawick is the Indian name of Brooklyn.
4The patent of Jan Monfoort for 28 morgens, was dated May 29, 1641, and a second patent for the same premises, Dec. 1, 1643; in which they are described as "betwixt the land of Jorse Rapalje on the east side, and the land of Pieter Monfoort on the west side," April 23, 1701, Peter Monfoort and Maria his wife, John Monfoort and Ida his wife, William Cowenhoven and Jonica his wife, and Claes Wyckoff and Sarah his wife, for Ļ150, as heirs at law, conveyed Jan Monfoort's patent to Garret Cowenhoven, as per a deed in hand of H. C. Murphy, In Jan Monfoort left no issue, the parties conveying being the children of his brother, Pieter Monfoort.
rods, by the kill and marsh easterly up 390 rods, at the "sweet marsh 202 rods on a southerly direction into the woods, and behind into the woods 384 rods in a westerly direction, and certain outpoints next to the marsh, amounting in all to the contents of 167 morgens and 406 rods" (about 335 acres).
On this land, which is situated in the city of Brooklyn, in the vicinity of and including the United States Hospital, and on the easterly side of the Waaleboght, Rapalie finally looated, and died soon after the close of the Dutch administration, having had eleven children.1
In August, 1641, Rapalie was one of the twelve men representing Manhattan, Breukelen and Pavonia, elected to suggest means to punish the Indians for a murder they had committed. In 1655, '56, '57, and 1660, he was one of the magistrates of Brooklyn.
[Footnotes on page 26]:
1His children, as per an original family record, preserved in the library of the New York Historical Society, were Sarah, born June 9, 1625, m. successively to Hans Hansen Bergen and Teunis Gysbert Bogaert: Marritie, born March 11, 1627, m. Nov. 18, 1640, Michael Paulus or Paulisen Vandervoort, from Vancermonde or Vlaenderen in the Netherlands, the ancestor of the Vandenvoort family in this country, who resided for some years in New Amsterdam, where, Sept. 15, 1646, he obtained a patent for a lot: Jannetie, born August 18, 1629, m. Dec. 21, 1642, Rem Jansen Vanderbek, from Severen, in Westphalia, by one account Coevorden, in Overyssel, by another, the ancestor of the Remsen family in this country: Judith, born July 5, 1635, m. Pleter Pietersen Van Nest, the anoestor of most of the Van Nest family of this country: Jan, born August 28, 1637, m. April 26, 1660, Maria Fredericks, of the Hague, died in 1662, without surviving issue: Jacob, born May 28, 1639, shot dead by the Indians while standing in his door: Catalyntie, born March 28, 1641, m. 1664, Jeremias Jansen Westerhout, who came over on the ship Rose-tree: Jeronemus, born June 27, 1643, m. Anna Denyse, daughter of Teunis Nyssen or Denyse: Annette, born Feb. 8, 1646, m. (1st), May 14, 1663, Marten Reyyese, as written by himself, or Ryerse, of Amsterdam, the ancestor of the Ryerson family in this country; m. (2d), Jan. 30, 1692, Joost Fransz, widower of Gertruy Aukes, who emigrated in 1654: Elizabet, born March 28, 1648, m. Dirck Cornelisse Hooglandt, and had a son Ariaen Dirckse, bapt. Sept. 22, 1670: and Daniel, born Dec. 29, 1650, m. June 13, 1674, Sarah Klock, of Fort Orange.
March 1, 1660, "Aert Anthonis Middagh, Tonis Gysbert Bogaert, Jorsey Rapalie, Jean LeCler,1 Jacob Kip,"2 and others, petitioned for permission to plant a village on the river opposite the Manhattans, in sight of Fort Amsterdam, between the lands of said Bogaert and Kip, but failed to obtain the same. Bogaert at this time possessed the lands patented to Hans Hansen Bergen, and the location of the proposed village was on the line between the towns of Brooklyn and Bushwick.
On the 26th of April, 1660, Rapalie petitioned to be allowed to leave his house standing on his farm for the present, which application appears to have been denied. At this period, in consequence of the Indian troubles, an order had been issued for those residing outside of the villages to abandon their dwellings, and remove to the villages, which were fortified, for safety.
December 25, 1662, he became a member of the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Brooklyn.
Rapalie's patent, after his death, was probably divided by will or otherwise between his surviving sons, Jeronimus and Daniel. On the death of Jeronimus, his son, Jeronimus, Jr., appears to have owned 230 acres. The main portion
[Footnotes on page 27]:
1In a letter from the directors in Holland to Stuyvesant, of Sept. 2, 1662, among the names of immigrants given, is that of Jean Le Claire, from Valenciennes. This may be the Jean Le Cler of 1660, and the letter in which his name occurs may have been written some time after his immigration.
2Jacob Kip, a son of Hendrick Kip, one of the oldest settlers, and a tailor, was in New Amsterdam as early as 1647, of which place he was appointed, Jan. 27, 1652, secretary, and on several occasions schepen. He bought Lambert Hnybertse Moll's house and plantation, of 25 morgens, the patent for which is dated Sept. 7, 1641, located near unto a certain creek or kill called "Runnegaconck," on Long Island, for which, Feb. 27, 1667, a patent was granted to him. This patent is located in what was originally Bushwick, and adjoined that of Hans Hansen Bergen, in Brooklyn. The site of the new village it was proposed to establish appears to have been on the boundary line between Brooklyn and Bushwick. He m. Feb. 14, 1654, Maria de la Montagne, and had several children.
of this tract was conveyed to him by his father, Jeronimus, October 5, 1725 (lib. 6, p. 42, con. King's co. reg. office), described as land in Brooklyn, "at a place called and known by the name of the Wale Bocht consisting of a eight acre house lot * * * * * Bounded Easterly and Southerly by Daniel Rapalje's land, Westerly by the River, and Northerly by Hans Hansen's (Bergen) creek; as also 145 acres of upland * * * * * bounded North by Hans Hansen's (Bergen) kill, East and West by Daniel Rapalje's land, and South by Bedford lotts," etc. In this conveyance, the creek known as Rinnegaconck, appears to be called Hans Hansen's creek or kil. It may be that Jeronimus Rapalie also conveyed to his daughter Sarah, who m. Hans Bergen, 150 acres, for Jacob, son of said Hans and Sarah appears to have owned and sold a tract of this size in 1755, to Martin Ryerse, bounded on the east by land of Jeronimus Rapalje, and others. The 250 and 150 acres make 400 acres, some 65 acres more than 335 acres, the quantity in the original patent. This may have occurred in-consequence of there being a surplus covered by the patent, or by a purchase of adjoining land. Jan. 8, 1753 (lib. 6, p. 31, King's co. reg. office), Jeronimus Rapalje, Jr., and Helletje, his wife, conveyed to Marten Martense Schenck, of Flatlands (who m. his dau. Antie), his farm at the "Waale Boght," containing by estimation 230 acres, "Bounded Easterly partly to the land of John Noostrand, & partly to the King's highway or road that leads from a place called 'Kroepelhos' to Bedfort, Westerly partly to land of Jacob Bergen & partly to the River; Southerly partly to the land of John Vandervoort & partly to the land of Harman Andriessen, & Northerly to a kil or creek out of the River and between the land of the said Jeronimus Rapalje," etc. In consequence of Daniel Rapalie's land not being referred to in this
boundary, it is evident that he must have disposed of it previous to this date. This sale ended the ownership of the patent in the male branches of the Rapalie family.
The prefix of "De" or "de" has been used by some old and some modern writers to Rapalie's name, so as to make "DeRapalie," the "De" indicating noble birth. Dominie Polhemius, the first clergyman in King's county, used this prefix in five instances on the baptismal and marriage records of the churches, the first of which was in an entry on the 19th of March, 1662, of "Jan Joriszen de Rapalie," as a godfather at the baptism of Jacob, son of Rem Janzen (Vanderbeeck), and Jannetie Joris (Rapalie). Dominie Selyns, who officiated in Brooklyn from 1660 to 1664, and in New York or New Amsterdam from 1682 to 1701, wrote the name "Rapallje," without any prefix. Dominie Van Zuuren, who officiated in the King's county churches from 1677 to 1685, in three entries prefixed the "De," and in fifteen omitted it. Dominie Varick, who officiated from 1685 to 1695, in four entries prefixed the "De," and in three omitted it. Dominie Lupardius, who officiated from 1695 to 1702, in one entry prefixed the "De," and in ten omitted it. Dominie Freeman, and Dominie Antonides, who officiated from 1705 to 1744, in their numerous entries of the name of Rapalie, omitted it altogether.
Joris Jansen Rapalie shows no sign of the "De," in his signature to documents, which consisted simply of a mark resembling the letter "R." The "De" to his name does not generally appear in the old colonial or New Amsterdam records, in which he is frequently referred to. The author has seen no evidence of the use of the "De" by any of his children, or grand-children, the following being the exact spelling of their signatures on the earliest documents which have come under his observation, viz: "Joris Rapalie," in 1697; "Jeronimus Rapale," in 1697;
"Samuel Rapalye," in 1703; "Jeronimus Rapalje," "Yan Rapalje," "Daniel Rapalje," and "Joris Rappalyee," all in 1723; and "Derrick Rappaljee," in 1739. In consequence of this prefix not having been used by Joris Jansen Rapalie and his immediate descendants, although in some instances used by contemporary clergymen and writers, the propriety of its being used by them in any case is very questionable.
If he had been of noble birth, or of a station above the ordinary settlers, his contemporaries would, in the public records, have prefixed to his name the appellation of "Heer," (Mister), as was done in the case of Van Rensellaer, De Sille, De Bruynne, Poulus Van der Bek, and others.
Joris Jansen Rapalie was probably a sailor, for on the colonial records of June 12th, 1647, in the office of the secretary of state at Albany, it is set forth, that "Jan Dircksen from Amsterdam, master carpenter, who sailed in the company's service in the ship Swol, lying sick a bed at the house of George Rapalje, chief boatswain ('hooch bootsman'), in New Amsterdam, makes his will."1
Rapalie made the following mark for his signature to documents: [Sorry, image not available at this time--Webmaster]
[Footnotes on Page 30]:
1See vol. 11, p. 349, O'Callaghan's translation Dutch Records.
It has been asserted by our early writers that several families of Walloons, who emigrated with Rapalie and his wife, in 1623 (who strictly speaking are the inhabitants of the frontier between Belgium and France), settled as agriculturists at the "Wahle-Bocht, or the Bay of the foreigners," since known as the Waaleboght in Brooklyn, as early as 1624 or 1625.3 Of a settlement at so early a period at this location, there is believed to be no documentary proof, a rigid search failing to produce from our colonial and early records evidence to sustain the assertion. The earliest recorded Indian grant to an individual for land in Kings county, is that to Jacob Van Curler,4 on the 16th of June,
[Footnotes on Page 32]:
3O'Callaghan's New Netherland, vol. 1, p. 101.
4Jacobus Van Curler was in this country as early as 1633, having a bouwery at Haerlem, on Manhattan Island prior to May, 1638, which he sold to Cors.
[footnote cont'd. on page 33]:
Van Tienhoven, May 12, 1639. He appears to have had another plantation on said island, at the point known as Curler's Hook, by the Indians as Nectanc, which he sold Feb. 22d, 1652, to Wm. Beekman. In 1660, he appears to have resided in New Utrecht, of which place he was a magistrate, previous to which, in 1658, he appears to have taught school in New Amsterdam.
1636, for flats in Flatbush and Flatlands, and the earliest to the government or West India Company is dated the 1st of August, 1638, for land between Brooklyn and Mespath. There is also evidence showing that William Adrianse (Bennet), and Jacques Bentin, purchased in 1636, of the Indians, a large tract in Gowanus, and erected a dwelling house thereon, which was afterwards burned in the Indian wars. The earliest patents granted by the government for land in Brooklyn were to Thomas Bescher, on the 28th of November, 1639, of a plot of 300 paces in breadth, for a tobacco plantation located probably at Gowanus;1 and to Frederick Lubbertsen, on the 27th of May, 1640, for a Van Tienhoven, May 12, 1639. He appears to have had another plantation on said island, at the point known as Curler's Hook, by the Indians as Nectanc, which he sold Feb. 22d, 1652, to Wm. Beekman. In 1660, he appears to have resided in New Utrecht, of which place he was a magistrate, previous to which, in 1658, he appears to have taught school in New Amsterdam.
[Footnotes on Page 33]:
1April 5th, 1642, a patent was granted to Cornelis Lambertsen (Cool), for a tract at "Gouwanes," adjoining William Adriaensen (Bennet), "which land was formerly occupied by John Van Rotterdam and Thomas Beets." A deed from Thomas Bescher, an Englishman, who probably was the same individual known as Thomas Beets in the patent to Cornelis Lambertsen (Cool), of May 17th, 1639 (prior to the date of the first Brooklyn patent), recorded in the office of the secretary of state at Albany, for the premises covered in the patent, is the earliest conveyance from one settler to another which has been found for lands in Brooklyn. In this deed Bescher conveys his right in "the plantation heretofore occupied by Jan Van Rotterdam and afterwards by him, Thomas Bescher, situate by Gouwanes on Long Island, extending Southwardly to a certain Kil a little cripplebush at which side William Adriaensen (Bennet), Cooper, lies contiguous, and on the north side Claes Cornelissen Smit's, streching in the length in the woods, for 300 carolus guilders at 20 stuyvers the guilder." This is the earliest reference found in the records relating to a settlement in Brooklyn, and from this deed it may be inferred that the first agricultural settlement in said town was made on these lands, but however of this there is no certainty. Bescher died in 1640; his wife Nanne entered into a contract, April 27, 1641, to marry Thomas Smith, in which it was stipulated that Bescher's surviving daughter, Eva, should have the plantation, house, etc., of her father, situated on Manhattan Island. Jan, or Jan Cornelise Van Rotterdam, afterwards occupied premises on Manhattan Island, and was dead in 1648.
large tract opposite Governor's Island, neither being located at the Waaleboght. The first patents at the latter place, except that of Rapalie, were those of Pieter and Jan Monfoort,1 of the 29th of May, 1641; of Lambert Huybertsen2 (Mol), of the 7th of September, 1641; of land formerly in the occupation of Cornelis Jacobsen Stille; 3 of Pieter Ceaser Italien (the ancestor of the Alburtus family of Newtown), for a tobacco plantation, of the 17th of June, 1643; of those enlarging or more particularly describing the bounds of the lands granted to the Monfoorts, of the 17th of August, 1643; that of William Cornelisse, of the 19th of February, 1646, for premises formerly occupied by Michael Picet; and that of Hans Hansen (Bergen), of the 30th of March, 1647; and that of Remmert Jansen Vanderbeck. The Monfoorts and Huybertsen may have been Walloons; the name of Cornelisse indicates that he was a
[Footnotes on Page 35]:
1Pieter Monfoort m. January 12-17, 1630, Sarah de Planken, Planck or Blanck, at Amsterdam in Holland, prior to his emigration, and died January 4, 1661. His widow m. (2d), January 1, 1663, Lambert Janse Bosch, from Oetmarsum. From Pieter are descended the Monfoorts of this country. Have seen no trace of the descendants of Jan Monfoort; probably he left none.
2Lambert Huybertsen (Mol), who m. Feb. 26, 1662, Jannetje Williams, widow, was a ship carpenter by trade, a small burger as early as 1657, a resident of New Amsterdam in 1665, on the present William street, and probably at no time resided on his plantation. His name is sometimes written Lambert Huybertsen Klomp. In 1674, he resided on Pearl street, and was estimated to be worth $500.
3Cornelis Jacobsen Stille and Jan Jacobsen, his brother, leased, August 15, 1639, for six years, of James Bronck, one house, two horses, and one cow, with the land to cultivate. Cornelis leased May 13, 1643, of Cornelis Van Tienhoven, his bouwery in the Smith's valley, on the Manhattens. March 18, 1647, Stille obtained a patent for bouwery No. 6, previously occupied by Wolfert Gerretsen Van Couwenhoven, containing 28 1/2 morgens, on Manhatten Island. It lay along the present south side of Chatham square, coming down to Pearl street, and was known as "Bowery No. 6." He died in 1680, and his son, Jacob Cornelissen, born in New Amsterdam, occupied the farm after his father's death.
Netherlander; Picet or Piquet was from Rouen in France, which is located many miles from the frontiers; he was banished in July, 1647, for slandering and threatening exdirector Kieft; pardoned by Stuyvesant, and in October of the same year, for threatening to shoot the latter, sentenced to perpetual banishment and eighteen years imprisonment in the work-house at Amsterdam. Pieter Ceaser (Alburtus), as his name indicates, was an Italian; Hans Hansen Bergen was a Norwegian; Remmert or Rem Jansen Vanderbeck was from Overessel in the Netherlands; and Rapalie could not have been a Walloon by birth, if, as asserted and claimed, he was a native of Rochelle, in France, a seaport on the Bay of Biscay, several hundred miles from the frontiers of Belgium. All Huguenots in those days may, however, have been known by the general title of Walloons, and the settlement of immigrants of this class at a later period in that vicinity, may account for the name, it being customary in Holland in those days to distinguish churches in their midst erected by French Huguenots, by the name of "Waale Kerken," or Walloon churches, appears to favor this theory. "Wal" in Dutch is beach or shore, "boght" is a bend in a river or cove; the literal meaning, therefore, of the word "Waaleboght" appears to be the beach or shore of the cove. The affidavits of Catelyntie Trico, hereinbefore set forth, appear, however, to settle the point, that none of the families who came over with her located at the time of the immigration at the Waaleboght. It is not very reasonable to suppose that agricultural settlements existed in Brooklyn, and that improvements were made so many years prior to Indian purchases, or the granting of patents for the land. The most tempting locality on the west end of Long Island for natives of the low and level lands of Holland or Belgium, who were inexperienced in the clearing of forests, were the flats in
Flatlands and Flatbush,1 miniature prairies, void of trees, with a dark colored surface soil, similar to that of the prairies of the west, which had been subject to the rude culture of the natives, and which were ready without much previous toil and labor for the plow. On these flats, of which there were three, it is supposed, and almost certain, that the first agricultural settlements on Long Island were made, and their adaptation to cultivation accounts for their being first sought for and purchased.
On the westernmost of them, called Kaskutenu, located in Flatlands, purchased of the Indians and patented by Gov. Van Twiller to Andries Hudden and Wolfert Gerretsen (Van Couwenhoven), on the 16th of June, 1636 (the same date as Van Curler's patent for flats), a plantation called "Achtervelt" was established, on which, prior to July 9, 1638, when an inventory was taken, they had a house set around with long round palisades, the house being 26 feet long, 22 feet wide, 40 feet deep, with the roof covered above and around with plank; two lofts above one another, and a small chamber at their side; one barn, 40 feet long, 18 feet wide, and 24 feet deep; and one bergh with five posts, 40 feet long. The plantation was stocked with six cows, old and young, three oxen and five horses.2
[Footnotes on Page 37]:
1Flatlands was originally named New Amersfoort, from Amersfoort, a city on the river Eem, in the province of Utrecht, in the Netherlands, of 12,889 inhabitants, the birthplace of Wolfert Gerretsen Van Couwenhoven, one of the earliest settlers of the place. It also was known as De Baije, or the bay. Dr. Strong, in his History of Flatbush, says that Flatbush "was appropriately called by the first settlers, by the name of Midwout or Middlewoods." As all the other Netherland settlements or towns in Kings county were named after localities in the fatherland, it is probable that this place was named Midwoud from "Midwoud and Oostwoud," a village of 544 inhabitants in the province of North Holland, from which place some of the early settlers may have emigrated.
2See vol. 1, p. 20, of Dr. O'Callaghan's manuscript translation of colonial records.
Antony Jansen,1 from Vaas, Ves, Fez, or from Saleā, as sometimes written, but generally written Antony Jansen Van Saleā, and designated in addition, in portions of our early records, with the appellation of "Turk," on being banished from New Amsterdam in consequence of improper conduct on his part and that of his wife Grietje Reiners, obtained in 1639 from Director Kieft a grant of 100 morgens (200 acres), on the west end of Long Island, partly in the present towns of New Utrecht and Gravesend, on which he located and became the first settler in said towns. Probably in consequence of the word Jansen (meaning the son of Jan), being common to both names, he is fancied by some writers to have been a brother of Jores Jansen Rapalie, but of this there is no particle of proof, nor is this corroborated by our early records, they on the contrary going far to disprove it.
[Footnotes on Page 38]:
1Antony Jansen, it is surmised, came from Fez or Saleā in Africa, and was probably a son of Jan Janse, of Haerlem in Holland, a freebooter and pirate, who settled in Saleā in Morocco, where he married a woman, turned Turk or Mahommedan, deserting his lawful wife and children, whom he had left at Haerlem.
This Protestant country welcomed religious refugees from France, Belgium and other countries. French-speaking refugees founded churches in the Netherlands and held services in French. In the last century specialists made index cards of the baptism, marriage and burial records of these churches. They also combed their Dutch records and some French and German ones and made similar cards from entries pertaining to refugees and their descendants. They then alphabetized these cards, and the "Walloon Index" was born.Mr. Law concludes, "only Georges Rapareilliet baptized in Valenciennes on 28 April 1604, could be the emigrant to the New World, for only his birthplace matches that given in his 1624 marriage record."
In 1948, the Genealogical Society of Utah microfilmed it on 199 rolls of microfilm. This opened the way for Americans to do serious genealogical research on these foreign families in the Netherlands.(3)
The first two entries for the Rapalje family in this index are dated in 1624, and the second of these, dated 13 January 1624 at Amsterdam, contains the marriage of two future emigrants to New York. It says, "Joris Raparlie born in Valenchiene (Valenciennes in French) (age) 19 (years), boratwercker (living at) Waelport (section of Amsterdam) and Catharina Triko (here spelled Friko, but in the original Dutch it is Trico)(living at) Nes (in Amsterdam) born at Pris in Waesland (French speaking area) (age) 18, accompanied by Marry Flamengh, her sister."(4) The original entry says that Catherine Trico was born at Paris, but this is deleted and "Pris" is recorded.
In 1964 I wrote to the Archivist of the Departmental Archives of the Department of Nord, where Valenciennes is located. He sent me the name and address of a researcher, Monsieur F. Bleriot. This man mailed me a report on 24 September 1964. It contains extracts of the baptism record of Georges (French for the Dutch name, Joris) Rapareilliet, son Jean Rapareilliet, and of those of his older brothers and sisters. They were found in the records of St. Nicolas parish in Valenciennes. Indexes of other parishes there contain no baptism of a Georges Rapareilliet. The dates given below are baptism dates unless identified as burial dates:
Jehenne (old form of Jeanne) daughter of Jean (John) Rapareilliet 1 August 1578.
Marie, daughter of Jean Rapareilliet 29 July 1580.
These two girls, born 14 or 16 years before the next children may be the daughters of another Jean or more likely of the same Jean's earlier marriage.
Olivier, son of Jean Rapareilliet 28 Feb. 1594.
Anne, daughter of Jean Rapareilliet 17 Sep. 1595.
Francois, son of Jean Rapareilliet 5 Nov. 1596.
Nicolas, son of Jean Rapareilliet 10 July 1598.
A Rapareilliet child was buried 16 Nov. 1600.
Georges, illegitimate son of Jean Rapareilliet 28 Apr. 1604.
"The wife Rapareilliet, miller" was buried 23 Feb. 1606.
A microfilmed copy of these records, now available, shows by the handwriting that the same priest recorded the baptism of Nicolas in 1598 and of Georges in 1604; he called only the latter illegitimate, as he did two per cent of the babies he baptized.(5)
It appears that Georges Rapareilliet carried the same stigma as did William the Conqueror and many other noted people. This, and the fact that he was the youngest child, less likely to inherit property than his older brothers, could help to explain why he moved to Amsterdam and later to the New World. We find no record of his brothers and sisters in the Walloon Index. He may have accepted Protestantism in Amsterdam, or have received Protestant teachings at home in Valenciennes.
I accept this George Rapareilliet as the future husband of Catherine Trico and as a progenitor of a million Americans and Canadians because:1. The French name Georges is Joris in Dutch.Neither parish nor notarial records (wills, marriage contracts, sales of property, etc.) of Valenciennes are available early enough to extend this Rapareilliet line further.
2. Born in April 1604 he was still nineteen on 13 January 1624, as his marriage record says.
3. He was born where his marriage record claims: at Valenciennes.
4. Protestantisme was outlawed in this area, then under Spanish rule, Jean Rapareilliet and his wife, if they had Protestant views, were required to have their children baptized in the Catholic Church.
5. In America, Joris took the name Jansen, which means "son of Jan or Jean."
6. The surname Rapareilliet is pronounced Raparlie (the spelling used in the 1624 marriage record with the dropping of one l.)
"Pris in Waesland" appears to be Prische, also in the Department of Nord, France. There the preserved parish records begin nearly a century after Catherine Trico's birth, but they contain many Trico names.(6)
In 1972 George Olin Zabriskie, Fellow of the American Society of Genealogists, published an article entitled, "The Rapalje-Rapelje Family." He used the Raparlie-Trico marriage and with my permission the Rapareilliet baptism and burial records from Valenciennes. I publish them here because many people interested in this family probably have not seen his article in the magazine, de Halve Maen.(7) He spelled the surname Rapareilliet, as in my researcher's report. But I now see in the microfilmed records that it is spelled "Rapareilliet," more like the "Raparlie" spelling used in the Amsterdam record.
Also in 1972, Dr. George E. McCracken, Editor of the American Genealogist, and Fellow of the American Society of Genealogists, published an article entitled, "Joris Janzsen Rapelje of Valenciennes and Catelyntje Jeronimus Trico of Pry."
He arranged it from data received from one of my colleagues at the Genealogical Library. This article contains the marriage record of the above couple and Joris's (Georges') baptism record, but it doesn't name his brothers and sisters and differson Catelyntje's place of birth. I am indebted to Dr. McCracken for his interpretation of Joris' occupation. He suggests that a "boatwecker" was a "weaver of a certain kind of cloth which in French is called "'bure.'"(8) I agree with him, for a French dictionary calls "bure" a "loosely woven brown colored material of wool" and a Dutch one identifies "borat" as a weaver of wool cloth.(9)
The indexes to the Bulletin historique et litteraire de la Societe de l'Histoire du Protestantisme Francais from 1852 to 1940 contain no reference to the surnames Rapalje or Rapareilliet.(10) Nor do the nine volumes of La France Protestante ou Vies des Protestants Francais qui se sont fait un nom dans l'Histoire. (Protestant France or Lives of France Protestants who made a name for themselves in History.)(11)
That Joris Jansen Rapalje and Catherine Trico were the parents of the first child of European parentage born in New York is apparently true; but the tradition that they brought with them 1500 pounds in money from Holland appears doubtful when we consider the work of a nineteen year old weaver.
On 21 Jan 1623/24 when Joris Janszen was 18, he married Catalina Jeronimus TRICO, in Walloon Church at Amsterdam, Noord Holland, Netherlands.15
They had the following children:
|69||i.||Sarah Joris (1625-1685)|
|ii.||Marretje Jorise (1627-1685)|
|iv.||Judith Jorise (1635-1726)|
|v.||Jan Joriszen (1637-1663)|
|ix.||Elisabeth Joris (1648-1712)|
|x.||Daniel Jorise (1650-1725)|
|xi.||Annetje Joris (1646-)|
[Page 30]From an article by George E. McCracken in The American Genealogist, Vol. 48, page 118:
His [Joris Jansen Rapalie] widow, Catalyntie, died Sept. 11, 1689, aged 84, having been born in 1605, and married before the age of 20; and Sarah, her daughter, calculating from the birth of her oldest child, was married between that of 14 and 15. Like others, Catalyntie's life did not pass without difficulties. In 1642, meeting "Poulus Van der Bek,"2 at the house of
[Footnotes on page 30]:
2Paulus Vander Bek, from Bremen, served in Curacao on board the company's ships, came to New Amsterdam, and finally settled in Brooklyn. October 9, 1644, he m. Mary Thomas or Baddie, widow successively of William Arianse Bennet and of Jacob Verden. In 1656 he was a farmer of the revenue in New Amsterdam, in 1661 of excise on Long Island, and in 1662 ferry master at Brooklyn.
Hans Kierstede,1 she asked him, "Why did you strike my daughter?" He answered, "You lie." She replied, "You lie like a villain and a dog," raising her hand at the time, on which Poulus struck her, and called her vile names. On this she sued him for slander, and on the trial, Jan. 12, 1645, Poulus admitted that he "knows nothing of the plaintiff but what was honest and virtuous." For the blow given he was fined 2 1/2 guilders, and charged not to repeat the offense on pain of severer punishment.2 From the journal of Dankers and Sluyter, Labadists, who visited this country in 1679, it appears that on the 30th of May, they visited Catalyntie. They state, "M. de la Grange3 came with his wife to invite me to accompany them in their boat to the Wale Bocht, a place situated on Long Island, almost an hour's distance below the city, directly opposite Correlaer's Hoeck, etc. This is a bay, tolerably wide, where the water rises and falls much, and at low water, is very shallow and much of it dry, etc. The aunt of de la Grange (Catalyntie Trico), is an old
[Footnotes on page 31]:
1Hans Kierstede was a surgeon in the service of the West India Company, who was in the colony as early as 1638, and obtained a patent, Jan. 21, 1647, for a lot in New Amsterdam, adjoining the company's store on the strand, and also owned a plantation on the wagon road, on Manhattan Island, near the Pannebacker bouwery. He married Sarah Roelofs, June 29, 1642, by whom he had several children. In 1665 he resided on Water street, and died prior to August, 1666.
2See page 214, council min., office secretary state, Albany, and vol. 11, p. 126, O'Callaghan's manuscript translation colonial records.
3Monsieur or Arnoldus de La Grange in 1677, petitioned the director and council relative to the island of Tinicum, in the Delaware river, purchased by his father of Armegat Prints. He kept a small shop in New Amsterdam, in which he sold tobacco, liquors, thread, pins, and other knicknacks. See Memoirs of the L. I. Historical Society, vol. 1, p. 117, and vol. XXI, p. 51, English manuscript, office secretary of state, N. Y.
Walloon from Valenciennes,1 seventy-four years old. She is worldly minded, living with her whole heart, as well as body, among her progeny, which now number 145, and will soon reach 150. Nevertheless, she lived alone by herself, a little apart from the others, having her little garden and other conveniences, with which she helped herself."2 With her husband, Dec. 25, 1662, she became a member of the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Brooklyn.
Catalyntie made her mark: [Sorry, image not available at this time--Webmaster]
[Footnotes on page 32]:
1In Catalyn's deposition before Justice William Morris, at the "Wale Boght," Oct. 17, 1688, she stated she was born in Paris, instead of Valenciennes, showing a discrepancy, probably caused by a misunderstanding, or an erroneous entry by one of the parties. In 1679, she stated that she was 74 years old, which would make her birth to be in 1605; in 1688, she gave her age as 83, which also makes her birth in 1605, a coincidence which leads to the conclusion that the old woman the Labadists visited at the Walabout was Catalyn Trico.
2See p. 341 of Hon. H. C. Murphy's translation of Journal of a Voyage to New York, 1679-80, of vol. 1 of Memoirs of L. I. Historical Society.
For long it was believed that Catelyntje was born in Paris, France, and, indeed, this old error was restated as recently as April 1971 in a letter to the editor of The Colonial Genealogist (Vol. 3, No. 4, New Series, p. 258) . . . The origin of the error is to be found in a deposition made by Catelyntje on 17 Oct. 1688 (printed in E. B. O'Callaghan, Documentary History of New York  3:32; also in Frank Allaben, Ancestry of Leander Howard Crall (New York 1908), p. 391; the deposition is from New York Colonial Manuscripts, vol. 35. This begins "Catelyn Trico aged about 83 years born in Paris."Dorothy A. Koenig and Pim Nieuwenhuis have recently tackled the question of the parentage of Catalyntie Trico, in two successive issues of the New Netherland Connections, the scholarly Berkeley-based quarterly specializing in just such challenges. Their article, "Catalina Trico from Namur (1605-1689) and Her Nephew, Arnoldus de la Grange," in Vol. 1, No. 3, 1996, pp.55~63,22 and their follow-up article, "Further Information About Catalina Trico," in Vol. 1, No. 4, 1996, pp.89~9324 address the findings of earlier researchers and the queries of their readers, and then advance the investigation to a new level.
In March 1961 when the distinguished genealogist, John Insley Coddington, was in Amsterdam, he was informed by Dr. Simon Hart of the Gemeinte Archief that Catelyntje was actually born in the tiny hamlet of Pry, 50/215/17' North latitude, 4/215/26' East longitude, on the Herve River directly south of Charleroi in Hainault. It is obvious that when Catelyntje said "Pry," the English-speaking clerk who took down the deposition misunderstood her to be pronouncing "Paris" as the French pronounce it, an easy error if she rolled the "r" very strongly. This important information was printed soon after in the News-Letter of the American Society of Genealogists, but as that periodical is not available outside the Society, the information did not become generally known.
In the Zabriskie articles in De Halve Maen [Vol. 46, beginning with January 1972], there are comments on the phrase in the marriage intentions of Joris and Catalina that refers to "Mary Flamegh, her sister, living in de Vles, age 18 years." Zabriskie calls her, in reality, a half-sister.
"Absence of a notation about parental approval may indicate that Mary's parents were dead in 1615. Cornelia de Fonteijn, wife to De La Grange, was probably a daughter of the Carel Fonteijn who came to New Amsterdam in 1658 and lived for years in Bushwick, now part of Brooklyn. Pending a study of the De La Grange and De Fonteijn families, we assume that Carel was the son of Mary Flamengh and nephew of Catalina Trico, thus making Catalina the great-aunt of Mrs. De La Grange."
However, letter from Henry C. Hoff, Editor of NYGBR, May 1996, includes notation that "Cornelia was descended from [Philippe de Foenteijn de Wikkat and Mary Flamegh] but Charles Fontaine was not her father (nor even related)."
Dorothy A. Koenig and Pim Nieuwenhuis identify the diarist cited by T.G. Bergen on page 31 of his Bergen Family as "Jasper Danckaerts, a Labadist missionary," and the date of his diary entry as "Thursday, the 30th of May in 1680." Dorothy Koenig then provides, with expanded abbreviations to make for easier reading, the text for Catalyn's deposition23 that Bergen referred to in his footnote 1 on page 32 before Justice William Morris, at the "Wale Boght," Oct. 17, 1688:
Catelyn Trico aged about 83 years born in Paris doth Testify and Declare that in the year 1623 she came into this Country with a ship called the Unity whereof was Commander Arien Jorise belonging to the West India company being the first ship that came here for the said Company; as soon as they came to Mannatans now called New York they sent Two families and six men to harford River and Two families and 8 menIn a follow-up article entitled "Further Information About Catalina Trico," in the very next issue of New Netherland Connections, Vol. 1, No. 4, 1996, pp.89~93,24 Dorothy A. Koenig and Pim Nieuwenhuis respond to reader feedback with energetic synergy, resulting in the triumphant identification by Mr. Nieuwenhuis of the elusive mother of Catalina Trico:24
to Delaware River and 8 men they left at New York to take Possession and the Rest of the Passengers went with the ship up as farr as Albany which they then Called fort Orangie. When as the Ship came as farr as Sopus which is 1/2 way to Albanie; they lightened the Ship with some boats that were left there by the Dutch that had been there the year before a tradeing with the Indians upont there oune accompts and gone back again to Holland and so brought the vessel up; there were about 18 families aboard who settled themselves att Albany and made a small fort; and as soon as they had built themselves some hutts of Bark: the Mahikanders or River Indians, the Maquase: Oneydes: Onnondages Cayougas and Sinnekes, with the Mahawawa or Ottawawaes Indians came and made Covenants of friendship with the said Arien Jorise there Commander Bringing him great Presents of Bever or other Peltry and desyred that they might come and have a Constant free Trade with them which was concluded upon and the said nations came daily with great multitus of Bever and traded them with the Christians. There said Commander Arien Joris staid with them all winter and sent his sonne home with the ship; the said Deponent lived in Albany three years all which time the said Indians were all as quiet as lambs and came and Traded with all the Freedom imaginable. In the year 1626 the Deponent came from Albany and settled in New York where she lived afterwards for many years and then came to Long Island where she now lives.
The said Catelyn Trico made oath of the said Deposition before me at her house on Long Island in the Wale Bought this 17th day of October 1688.
WILLIAM MORRIS, Justice of the Peace
On 15 October 1624 Marie appeared before the notary Sybrant Cornelisz to record her will. (Nr. 630, fol.61). She identifies herself as Marie Flamen, housewife of Philippe de la Fontaine dit Wicart, and she names her five [living] children that she has borne to her husband -- Philippe, Jan, Daniel, Andries, and Abraham -- as well as all those children yet to be procured by the said Philippe. (Note that she does not mention her daughter Marie who had been baptized just that year on 13 April 1624 in the Walloon Church in Amsterdam. Marie must have died in infancy.) To each of her children alive at her death Marie wills 1,200 carolus guilders, and she further stipulates that her widower-to-be, Philippe, must prove to the officials of the Orphan's Chamber that he has given her heirs their legacy within six weeks after her death. And Philippe will be bound to pay a sum of 1,000 carolus guilders to the testatrix's mother, Michele Sauvagie, if she is still alive at the time of her daughter Marie's death. And if the aforesaid Michele Sauvagie has already passed away before the testatrix's death, then the sum of 1,000 carolus guilders is to be paid to Marie's brother and sisters in equal parts.
From Margriet Trico's marriage intention in May 1632 we know that her mother -- now identified as Michele Sauvagie -- was definitely alive and presumably living in Haarlem because Margriet had to bring in her written permission for the pending marriage (see previous issue, page 58). Thanks to Dr. G.J. van Amerongen in Haarlem, the records of Haarlem for this time period were checked to see if any members of the Trico family could be found. There was only one, a Philippe Trico married to a Sara Janis. This couple had five children baptized with the surname Tricot or Triquot in the Walloon Church of Haarlem: Abraham on 5 Nov. 1628; Jeanne on 24 Feb. 1630; Jaques on 3 Dec. 1634; Jean on 15 June 1636; and Louis on 20 March 1639. One burial with this name was recorded in Haarlem; on 27 August 1656 "Philips Trigault" was buried in Haarlem. (72, fol. 140v)
There is no evidence that this Philippe Tricot/Triquot/Trigault was the brother of Catalina Trico. However, we do have Marie Flamen's stated wish that in the event that her mother predeceased her, Marie wanted 1,000 carolus guilders to be paid to Marie's "brothers and sisters in equal parts." Was Marie's brother a Flamen brother or a Trico half-brother? We know that her half-sisters were Catalina and Margriet Trico. Did she have more than two?